Friday, April 1, 2011

A Birthday Greeting

I read through the greeting cards
Hoping to find for you.
I read them all:
Short and tall,
Red, yellow, green and blue.

None seemed to have the right meaning
To express my true thought.
None funny
Or too sunny
Or deserving to be bought.

It's hard to find a card
With the exact, sentimental phrase.
I'm not a sentimental person
Nor given to sentimental ways.

So I did what I had to do
To demonstrate mi amore.
I scrubbed
The tub
And washed the kitchen floor.

Although,
as a writer, I know
To say this is hard:
Sometimes, actions
Speak louder than cards.

 
Bill Lazarus is been a long-time writer, educator and religious historian.  He started teaching when he was 13 year old and has been rarely out of a classroom since.  He hold an M.A. in communication from Kent State University and is a full-time instructor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.  You can write him via this website or www.williamplazarus.com
         


No comments:

Post a Comment