Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Birthday Poem



It’s birthday time,
Another in a long line
When it ends, only God knows.
I’m afraid I’ve lost count
As the numbers mount
Now that my giddy up no longer wants to go.

When the dawn breaks,
I’m happy to wake,
But I ache from head to toe.
Bed gravity remains,
Why risk more strain?
Now that my giddy up no longer wants to go.

When morning arrives,
I can’t open my eyes,
Afraid of the sun’s bright glow.
If I lie real still,
Maybe I can muster the will
But my giddy up no longer wants to go.

Exercise is barely tenable
Since I’m now venerable.
I do everything slow.
Pancakes take an hour
Just to find the flour
Since my giddy up no longer wants to go.

There’s an energy surge
That gives me the urge
To stand up really slow
I’ll harness the varoom
To go to the bathroom
Now that my giddy up finally wants to go.

Bill Lazarus
August 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment